Dos Santos crushes Velasquez to win Heavyweight Title

Junior dos Santos knocked out Cain Velasquez in the main event of the first ever UFC on FOX, becoming the new UFC heavyweight champion in the process Saturday night in Anaheim, California. Dos Santos caught Velasquez with a huge right hand midway through the first round, rocking Velasquez and dropping him to the ground. Dos Santos did not waste time, swarming Velasquez with more punches, and prompting the referee to stop the bout at the 1:04 mark of the round."I have no words to say for what I'm feeling," Dos Santos said after the bout. He admitted he was not confident going into the bout. "I think Cain Velasquez was for sure my toughest opponent, I was afraid to fight him because he is very tough. I was not one hundred percent for this fight, and I was scared," Dos Santos admitted. It was Velasquez's
first loss in the UFC. "I wanna say sorry to all the fans, my family and friends... I've disappointed you. I will come back and I will get this belt back, for sure," Velasquez said. Velasquez said the huge right hand from Dos Santos clipped him in the ear, messing up his equilibrium.
In the main undercard bout, Benson Henderson and Clay Guida battled in a potential Fight of the Year candidate. Henderson took a unanimous decision victory with scores of 29-28, 30-27, and 30-27 , but the fight seemed closer than the scorecards indicated. The two fighters exchanged wild punches from the opening bell, with Henderson stunning Guida with a left hook early in the first round. Henderson was unable to take advantage, and Guida recovered well enough to get a takedown in the second round. Henderson showed impressive takedown defense, however, and was able to slip a choke on Guida in the dying seconds of the middle round. The brawl continued in the third round, with Henderson and Guida each trying to take control of the bout. A wild scramble late in the third round saw Guida able to slip a guillotine choke on Henderson. Henderson was able to get back on his feet, however, and swarmed Guida with punches as the round ended. Henderson and Guida each received $65,000 for putting on the Fight of the Night.

0 comments:

Post a Comment